Would you run a science experiment without instructions? Things could go wrong. You might mix the wrong chemicals or measure the wrong portions. Designing a lead generation campaign without a plan is similar to a science experiment without a manual. Lead generation drives business revenue, and a strategic plan drives successful lead generation programs. As someone once told me, knowing is half the battle.
Whether you’re prepping a business case or setting up a lead generation campaign, it’s helpful to know what works today and what just might be a waste of time and resources. Which is why I’ve compiled a list of lead generation stats every marketer should know.
So hold on to your jaw as you browse these mind-blowing lead generation facts.
- 80% of companies not meeting their revenue goals attract 10,000 monthly website visitors or less. (Source: HubSpot)
- 70% of companies exceeding their revenue goals attract more than 10,000 visitors per month. (HubSpot)
- The biggest challenge for B2B marketers is “generating high-quality leads (61%).” (Source: B2B Technology Marketing Community).
- 73% of all B2B leads are not sales-ready. (Source: MarketingSherpa).
- The three most common lead generation strategies are: email marketing (78%), event marketing (73%) and content marketing. (67%) (Source: DMNews)
- The top five B2B lead generation methods that are found to work best are: inside sales, executive events, telemarketing, tradeshows/conference and email or e-Newsletters. (Source: MarketingProfs).
- 83% of B2B marketers use content marketing for lead generation (Source: MarketingProfs)
- 49% of B2B marketers use sales lead quality to assess content marketing success. (Source: MarketingProfs)
- 48% of marketers build a new landing page for each marketing campaign. (Source: HubSpot via MarketingSherpa)
- Approximately 96% of visitors that come to your website are not ready to buy. (Source: Marketo).
- 37% of marketers say that “budget constraints” is the biggest obstacle to effective use of marketing automation. (Source: Pepper Global)
- Companies that excel at lead nurturing generate 50% more sales-ready leads at 33% lower cost. (Source: SalesForce)
- 74% of companies that weren’t exceeding revenue goals did not know their visitor or lead opportunities. (Source: HubSpot)
- The top three data factors used to leverage email marketing programs are: demographics (50.8%), purchase history (47.6%) and web behavior (30%). (Source: StrongView Marketing Trends)
- The best B2B email tactic marketers found to be successful is: compelling content for each stage. (Source: B2B Technology Marketing Community)
- About 74% of marketers spend more than $50 per lead and 12% of marketers spend more than $1,000. (Source: Mintigo)
- Per dollar spent, content marketing generates approximately 3 times as many leads as traditional marketing. (Source: Demand Metric)
- 78% of CMOs see custom content as the future of marketing. (Source: Demand Metric)
- About 58% of marketers who have been using social media for more than 3 years report it has helped them improve sales. (Source: Social Media Examiner)
- Companies that use Twitter average 2 times more leads per month than those that do not. (Source: Marketo)
- Nurtured leads make 47% larger purchases than non-nurtured leads. (Source: Online Marketing Institute)
Well, now you know. So, what should you do about it? You can start with defining what a “sales-quality lead” means with your sales and marketing team. Having a clear definition of a sales-ready lead (based on insights) will help you understand your customers and their buying journey.
Go forth and generate more leads.
What is your biggest obstacle in generating leads?
What do you include in your lead generation plan?
Share with us so that we can all learn.