There’s no shortage of social media statistics floating around the web. Facebook is the largest social media network; hashtags help increase your reach; visuals enhance engagement – I’m sure these sound familiar.
For this blog post, I set out to find social media stats that really wowed me. Whether it’s a new perspective on a well-known fact or something you’ve never heard before, here are eight social media stats that will blow your mind.
- Facebook has over 844 million daily mobile active users. That’s more than the entire population of North America. This is especially important to keep in mind if you are running Facebook ads.
Dive Deeper: Why You Should Think Mobile-First for Facebook Ads
- By 2017 Instagram’s mobile ad revenue will be around $2.81 billion, surpassing that of Google and Twitter. Even though Instagram advertising started this year and still isn’t open to everyone, the impact will be significant enough to pass the Google giant on mobile advertising.
Dive Deeper: How to Use Instagram for Social Media Marketing
- Facebook has more active users than any other social platform however, that number is shrinking. Unlike sites such as Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr that are rapidly growing their active user base, Facebook is losing members. Might not be long until they are knocked out of the top spot.
Dive Deeper: Should Marketers Quit Facebook?
- There are over 1 billion videos watched each day on YouTube. That’s a lot of videos and also a lot of chances for you to get noticed. Make sure your videos are properly tagged and you use the right keywords so you can get found.
Dive Deeper: 5 Common Video Marketing Mistakes to Avoid
- 83% of active Pinterest users would rather follow their favorite brand then their favorite celebrity. Pinterest is a huge opportunity for brands to reach their target audience, yet it is often underused. If you don’t yet have a presence on Pinterest, you can start by looking at other brands and competitors for inspiration.
Dive Deeper: 6 Brands That Are Winning at Pinterest
- More than 80% of B2B leads generated from social media efforts come from LinkedIn. While social media is great for lead generation, make sure you are focusing your efforts on the right channel.
Dive Deeper: Yes, Social Media Works for B2B Lead Generation
- As of February 2015, YouTube is the most popular brand page on Twitter. However, Twitter hasn’t posted on YouTube in over 4 months.
Dive Deeper: 3 Simple Ways to Amplify Your Twitter Profile
- Instagram posts with a location added have a 79% higher engagement rate. In addition to seeing what you are doing, people want to know where your photo was taken. Adding a location will help you get more traction from your post.